Gallery

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tour My Studio!

I was away on family business in Texas and totally missed the virtual quilt studio tour:^(

So I've decided to have my own blog-o-sphere tour.

My work space is in the basement of my house. Pic one shows, descending the stairs, my artwork that I hang, occasionally rotating pieces.

At the bottom of the stairs is one of my favorite paintings. It's "Women's Business" by Australian Aboriginal artist Lillian Nabadnari .


Picture 2: My cluttered design wall illustrating that I really am not working on anything at the moment. Further along is a work surface that in theory I can use to design and get organized. As if.



Photo 3: Light, light, light! Even though my studio is in the basement I have lots of natural light by way of the sliding doors and double hung window that look out over a tranquil side yard: birds, leaves, rock walls and chipmunks. I've set up my machine so that I can have natural light on the work surface. It is buttressed by two tables that offer storage space for thread cases below and ironing, organizing, assembling on their surfaces.




Photo 4: Just out of the light is the end of the room where most of my stash is stored. I have two tables elevated to facilitate cutting and basting (and storing more fabric). The chest on the right is home to beads and various small bits.



Photo 5: Pivoting a bit more to the left is more stash, a half bath (unless I get hungry there is really no reason for me to leave my studio), more bookcases and stacks of quilts stretched on foam core for display.



Photo 6: More of those quilts on foam core and my medium storage closet housing the inks, paints, stencils, stamps et al.


Photo 7: Back to the stairs with more bookcases, my computer and my desk's usual clutter, and rolls of quilts on the floor. Above my desk is another Aboriginal artist's work. "Palm Island" by Errol Possum Roberts.


I feel very lucky to have such a "room of my own"! Like I've said before, with the possible exception of Victoria, Australia, the place I most like to be.

3 comments:

  1. Diane, Yours is my favorite studio EVER. It is not too big, and not at all small. It has the light from a big window, and is absolutely separate from your living space. If it just had a bed, it would be perfect! You really would never have to leave... No wonder you make such beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your studio is is just so nice. Your design wall always features something designed to inspire. You have wonderful daylight (which I envy), as well as great lights. But I think you'd make great quilts anywhere, even if your sewing area was in a dimly lit closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful space with lots of storage and lots of light. What could be better? As Ruth Anne said, you would make great work anywhere!

    ReplyDelete