Gallery

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where, Oh, where have I been....

It all started with the fourteenth snowstorm of the winter. I really began to miss to our grandkids in Florida! Serendipitously...as it turned out...we missed the fifteenth and a foot of snow.

I must have been missing the warmth of south Florida for some time. Consider The Kelp was created in February and spawned a series of eco-friendly themed work. The seaweed is made up of Angelina fibers, hand dyed silk cap, hand dyed cheesecloth, and tulle.

During the past two weeks we have indulged ourselves in art all along the coastline: from the Smithsonian Freer and Sackler Galleries and the National Portrait Gallery in D.C., to the incredible "Georgia O'keefe and Ansel Adams" exhibit at the Norton Art Center in West Palm Beach, and on to the American collection of the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh.

Indulging my need to be inspired by fiber artists, I reconnected with Kathy Ward, quilt artist and judge, who guides a Design Group in Jupiter, Fl. Sitting in on their monthly meeting was great. Running into my old friend Kathy Rentz at a quilt shop in Stuart was "meant to be". She'd been so busy that she hadn't had the time to check her emails and read my hope to meet her. Serendipity, again.

As we drive up the coast and meet the cold, rainy spring of more northern climes, I miss my studio more and more. Time to go home!

4 comments:

  1. Diane, I was excited to see that you are on your way home. The group gets a bit wayward without its fearless leader... Kelp is lovely!

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you've had a good trip--good job missing the 15th snow. I look forward to seeing you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Dianne.
    LOVE that oceanic theme - SHOW ME MORE!!!!!
    Eileen the seaglass lady

    ReplyDelete