Gallery

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Visitor from Down Under


This past March when we were visiting Australia, at the suggestion of Boston buddy Sandy Gregg, I had the pleasure to meet Geri Barr, art quilter and teacher, from Port Melbourne . She mentioned that she would be teaching this month in the Boston area and I invited her to stop over for a couple of days on her way through.
Monday she met several of the Sisters
in Cloth and some other art quilt buddies for a Show and Tell. It was quite a morning. Very inspiring for us all.

Today was her last day and we crammed in as much as we could before meeting her train bound for Boston. She happened to mention Patrick Doughtery last night....who knew that she would know about him? More serendipity...one of his installations is in nearby Old Lyme (of Lyme disease fame...the soccer team is called the Ticks...little dry New England humor there).

After she left I was still feeling inspired....good, except the work that demanded to be finished is this baby quilt I'm making for the Guilford Art Center's annual fundraiser. I'm happy to be supporting the Center...but itching to get on to new work.

2 comments:

  1. Geri was indeed delightful and inspiring. Her journal quilts were so imaginative. Thank you for affording us the opportunity to meet her. I've got ideas spinning around in my head and putting them down on paper--how to represent all that's been going on in my life this year. It's ok to journal retroactively, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of meeting Geri in Ohio this weekend at Quilt National. What a great person! Friendly and outgoing, makes you feel like you've known each other for years. I hope she comes back to the States again soon... Or maybe I'll go to Australia and look her up!
    :-) Kate

    ReplyDelete