Gallery

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Quirky: How does it fit into one's body of work?

I have a question for you who might know.  Where does the one off, quirky piece fit in your body of work?

I like to collect vintage textiles.  I sometimes incorporate them in my work, although, with the exception of rick-rack, anyone else would not know that they are there.

This is different.  I 'found' the vintage shift (cut out from a pattern but then abandoned...just as you see it here) and, at some other time, I 'found' the decorator's yard of plaid seen as the background.  These two lived on my design wall together for months.  Slowly it occurred to me that The Shift that I remembered and wore in a much smaller size than I do now...but not as small as this...was popular during the late 1950's and the early 1960's.  Just around the time that nylon stockings were going out and pantyhose were coming in...about the same time women began to sew their own clothing less often...and, interestingly, the cusp of vinyl zippers replacing metal zippers.

The piece really took off after I discovered these garter snaps that I had stashed away in some distant past.  (My granddaughter can't figure them out.  ;^)  But then who'd want to?)

So, just where does this fit into my body of work?  I'm thinking about reserving a category for Quirky.  Whatcha think?

6 comments:

  1. Diane -- don't you see???? This piece IS your "body" of work -- all these great things once adorned your body!! (sort of . . .) I especially love the garter snaps -- can't tell you how many of these I once owned . . .

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THERE you are, Diane...I've been missing you. And, you are right...plain as the nose on my face and I didn't see it :^)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the fabrics! oh, the good old days:)
    disclaimer:
    you're going to have to forgive me for this one.....explantion to follow.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has your sense of humor, Diane -- and just because the subject matter is one-off doesn't mean it isn't YOU. I know what you mean, though. It's not part of a series like your trees or your kimonos, but who cares? It's a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Rayna!! Vivika looked at it and said...basically, it's not done...it needs a pair of those little white gloves that 'we' used to wear, especially when we were going for 'mature'.

      Delete